Monday, December 24, 2012

Review: Laura Geller Balance and Brighten in Fair + Stila Kitten Eyeshadow

After obsessing over these two makeup products for weeks I decided to splurge on them at my local Ulta grand opening(which by the way guys, that is my new favorite place to be).  These two products are super pricey, the powder was 33$ and the shadow was...18$. I don't think this powder is dupe-able and I couldn't find a good dupe for the shadow either.



Laura Geller Balance and Brighten in Fair:


 Product claims:
A revolutionary baked foundation with multiple color infusions to color-correct your skin and give you a glowing, flawless-looking complexion. Mineral oil and paraben-free formulation also contains powerful anti-aging and anti-oxidant protection of Centella Asiatica and White Tea Extracts. 

(I'm never sure how to swatch powder because it just blends in the skin)

How does this product live up to the claims?
I think this is a wonderful powder. Seriously. I have gotten many compliments on my skin since getting this. I think this powder just makes the skin look flawless. I can really tell the difference between having this on and not having this on. The coverage is fantastic and in my opinion this just makes my skin look softer and smoother. I don't really know how this color corrects because after applying my BB cream, Foundation and concealer I don't have much color correcting left but I can say that this puts more color onto my face.

The only thing I am on the fence about with this powder is that I think it may be a tiny bit too dark for me. The Balance and Brighten does come in a lighter shade than Fair called Porcelain. I think that shade may be discontinued soon because the only place I can find it is on QVC. I can't even find it on the Laura Geller website. I'm running low on this powder so i'm thinking about picking up the lighter shade but I'm nervous that that shade may be too light and I rather like this powder shade for my skin.

How this powder affects my foundation routine:

No makeup.
After Make Up Forever Matte Velvet + (review coming soon)
After Revlon Photoready Concealer and Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer (review coming soon)
After Laura Geller Balance and Brighten

Last step!
After Contouring with Benefit's Hoola Bronzer and applying blush/face brightener with Benefit's Dandelion (review coming soon)

You guys can see the difference this powder makes,  right?

I also don't think this powder gets cakey. To be honest, I don't know if I've never had a cake face before since I haven't been using powder for very long or if I don't know what a cake face looks like BUT I have never put this on and thought my face looked bad. 

I just googled cake face and got Kim Kardashian...I normally think her makeup looks pretty nice so...I'm still not sure if I've ever seen a cake face...

This is the first high end powder I've ever tried and I can tell a difference between wearing this and wearing a drugstore powder. I want to try out another high end powder once I'm through with this product to see how this compares to other high end powders. 

ANYWAY


Packaging: Fine. Lovely normal powder packaging. It comes with a little mirror so thats nice. I don't believe this came with any sort of applicator. If you can go invest in the 3$ elf powder brush because it applies this way more beautifully than any last minute powder applicator the manufacturer would throw in.

BASICALLY!

Pros:
-applies beautifully
-makes my skin look smoother and more lively.
-I can actually see a significant difference between wearing this and not wearing this
-great coverage
-Mineral oil and paraben-free formulation also contains powerful anti-aging and anti-oxidant protection of Centella Asiatica and White Tea Extracts. 

Cons:
-expensive
-may be a bit too dark for me

Would I recommend this?Yes. Yes yes yes. I really do just love this powder.

Stila Kitten Eyeshadow:


I think this may fit into the category as one of those high end makeup products that most girls have heard about or own. You know, like NARS Orgasm or the Naked Palettes. After swatching this at Sephora I had to have it.

What this product claims:(from Stila website)
Stila's award-winning eye shadows are now sold in a refillable, magnetic compact! These individually-pressed formulas, from classic neutrals to the hottest fashion hues, are long-lasting and easy-to-apply. Plus, the compacts are biodegradable and the eye shadow pans can be popped out to create your own perfect palette!
Our shades are known for their high-quality formula and texture, which can be worn wet or dry. 

Packaging: Its fine. Its simple and sturdy. This doesn't come with any sort of applicator but thats fine with me because I have brushes to apply it with.


Pigmentation and Consistency: Beautiful. This product feels beautiful and soft and the pigmentation is lovely. The way it looks in the pan is exactly how it will look on your eye. The reflective quality of this is really pretty and eye catching. I haven't worn this without a primer but it lasts all day with elf's eyelid primer. 
An excellent base for this is the Milani Shadow Eyez pencil in 03 Champagne Toast

Using Milani Shadow Eyez in 03 Champagne Toast as a base
Using Maybelline Color Tattoo in Too Cool as a base(prefer the look of the Milani Shadow Eyez)
  
Dupe: I've heard on some youtube videos and seen on some blogs that people are saying that the L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Iced Latte is a dupe for Stila's Kitten. I am going to have to disagree. While Iced Latte is lovely, Kitten is more pink than Iced Latte. Iced Latte is more beige or yellowish white. Although Iced Latte is not a dupe I think from what I have seen the (I believe) limited edition L'Oreal Infallible Eye Shadow in Blinged & Brilliant is a bit more of a dupe although that appears a bit more peachy than pink.

...can't wait til I get back to America so I can go to the drugstore and pick up some eyeshadowzzzz.

OH!The only thing that I don't like about this eyeshadow is the FALL OUT. This shadow gets all over my fake lashes. 


ANYWAY,

BASICALLY: 

Pros:
 -looks lovely. sort of un-dupeable.
-feels lovely.
-just an overall great eyeshadow
-this shadow is going to last me forever

Cons:
-fall out
-expensive

Would I recommend this? If you don't own this already I think you should. Its just a very flattering shadow color. 

Makeup all together:


Have you guys tried these? Can you recommend a high end powder?

Have an awesome day and a Merry Christmas!!










 
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pink Wing Pointer